I’m an experienced software engineer specializing in back-end technologies with expertise in architecting well-designed software applications. I bring more than two decades of hands-on experience helping organizations bring their products to market while improving their development and delivery processes.
Featured Software Projects
- Fleakr (Ruby)
A full-featured API client for Flickr photostreams that represents my first serious effort at creating a reusable software library. This code demonstrates a departure from the constraints of Rails to really dive deep into some core principles of object oriented design. There are some “clever” spots in the code that I don’t think I would repeat if I were to approach this problem domain again, but there’s a lot of good composition and delegation of responsibility in how this code is designed and implemented.
- dnsimple (Python)
I had been using the dnsimple Ansible module to manage DNS records when creating and destroying servers, but the underlying Python module became out of sync with the way that Ansible was trying to interact with it. I set about updating the code to handle the new API endpoints and structure the code in a way that maximized usability and modularity with an eye to supporting the updated API version. While this never became the canonical Python module for DNSimple, some ideas were ported to the official module.
- minecraft-server (Ansible / Python)
After experiencing lag on our outdated home computers when using “Open to LAN”, I took some time to pull together an existing Ansible role to create an on-demand Minecraft server on Digital Ocean. I experimented a bit with using Block Storage to store world data, but moved to persisting data in a Space to allow for a multi-server setup.
- 3 Uses of `git rebase` for Your Daily Workflow (October 2020)
- Two Ways to Share Git Hooks with Your Team (May 2017)
- OTP: The Fun and Frustration of C (February 2015)
- Collaborate with Google Slides, Deliver with Keynote (January 2015)
- Fun with Cellular Automata (April 2014)
- Teaching Kids Programming with Khan Academy (April 2014)
- Game Programming in C with the Ncurses Library (March 2014)
- Fixing Missing Assets With Rails 4 on Heroku (September 2013)
- Three Reasons I Hate Laptops in Meetings (May 2013)
- Why I Chose to Learn C (March 2013)